Empowering Indigenous women and youth to defend our people and mother earth.
How we helped
"The donation from Lush will strengthen the voices of women and youth in our community. By holding gatherings, ceremonies and trainings, we will advance our efforts to oppose clear-cut logging and to secure a cleanup of the mercury that was dumped in our river. Healing our territory will allow us to heal our bodies, revive our culture and rebuild the strength of our community.
This grant will support the Grassy Narrows Women's Gathering, a 4-day gathering in Fall 2017 that will bring together the Indigenous women of our community and the grassroots land-defending women in our region to build relationships, skills and networks, strategize and plan coordinated actions, and strengthen our movement to defend our territories. The gathering will also provide mentorship for young women who are seeking to become leaders in our communities and in defending the earth and our peoples.
At the gathering we will:
1. Discuss strategies and best practices for protecting the land and building unity;
2. Develop plans for coordinated actions in support of our goals;
3. Create a contact list to coordinate our work after the gathering;
3. Hold workshops to share teachings on the leadership roles and responsibilities of women including protecting the land and waters, and to share and develop organizing skills;
4. Make plans to reclaim the role of women in decision making in our communities;
5. Hold full moon ceremonies, healing, and other ceremonies;
6. Provide mentorship and support for young women who are seeking to become leaders in our communities and in defending the earth and our peoples;
8. Teach participants about traditional land use on our territories, and pride in our culture.