Provides the following initiatives:
- Community Garden which engages children and adults in ecological gardening methods.
- Lost River Walks which explore buried waterways in order to connect us to our watersheds and motivate action towards a restored ecosystem.
- Eco-Gift Wrapping service which fosters waste reduction during the holiday season.
- Rivers Rising project which uses storytelling to connect community gardens, lost rivers watersheds, and newcomer and Indigenous communities to encourage community-led eco-initiatives towards a blue-green city while developing an eco-tourism social enterprise.
How we helped
This grant supports our long-term objectives as well as bolstering the organization’s sustainability by helping us to:
- encourage local community leadership and mentorship
- enhance ability for neighborhood-based storytelling reflecting the intersection of food, water, environment and culture (newcomer and Indigenous)
- create tools to capture and share these stories widely (videos to be posted on new website and app)
- enhance knowledge of the common and divergent histories, cultures and current experiences of Indigenous peoples and newcomers
- increase awareness of and involvement in environmental actions by community members who have not traditionally been engaged
- support future blue-green infrastructure and local, sustainable food projects to maintain community engagement and interaction
- develop an eco-tourism social enterprise to maintain this initiative and sustain the organization