We’re serious about reducing our impact on the earth, so we’re always looking at our packaging and processes to see how we can improve. From 100% post-consumer plastic in our bottles and pots to biodegradable packing peanuts, here are 10 things you might not know about our packaging.
1. Naked: Out of our all-year-round product range, 65% are sold naked, with no packaging, so zero-waste washing is absolutely possible.
2. Post-consumer plastic: Our products in pots and bottles are sold in 100% post-consumer plastic. Our plastic bottles can be recycled through your city’s recycling program, but save and return your black and clear pots to your local Lush store for…
3. Free face masks! Did you know you can return five clean black and clear pots to any Lush store in exchange for a free fresh face mask? We chip them down and remold them into new pots in a closed recycling loop.
4. Continuous improvements: In 2012, we made our clear bottles thinner by 10% to reduce our plastic usage. In 2016 alone, this saved almost 13,500 pounds of plastic!
5. Knot-wraps: In 2010, we phased out our giftwrapping service and introduced knot-wraps. These square scarves are made of organic cotton or a silky fabric made from recycled plastic bottles, and are a great green alternative to wrapping paper. (They make really cute accessories, too!)
6. Recyclable or reusable: Lush gifts come in fabric knot-wraps, recyclable cardboard boxes or reusable metal tins: no matter which one you receive, its packaging is recyclable or reusable. Our online orders are also packed in 100% recycled (and recyclable) cardboard boxes.
7. Our packing peanuts: We use plant-based packing peanuts to protect the products in our gifts and online orders. Unlike Styrofoam, these are 100% biodegradable: to dispose of them, just toss them in your compost.
8. Nope, that’s not plastic: Naked products in our gifts and online orders sent out from our Vancouver facility come in bags that look like plastic, but are made of 100% biodegradable cellophane. These bags allow naked products to arrive in the same beautiful condition as when they were made. We’re working to transition all our naked products that are wrapped in our Toronto facility to the same 100% industrially-compostable cellulose.
9. Forgot your bag? No worries! Our paper bags are made from 100% recycled paper or choose one of our 100% organic cotton canvas bags to carry your Lush goodies home, and reuse it again and again.
10. Our gift tags and inserts: Even the tags and inserts in our gifts, which have information about all of our products inside, are printed on 100% recycled paper.