Vote To Protect Our Freedoms
You have the capacity to elect officials who will champion what you care about most and to vote on ballot initiatives that will shape the community you live in.
Fact: You 100% got this!
There’s a lot on the line every election season! Using this resource as your guide, size up the candidates vying for your vote, then make a plan to cast your ballot with the help of our election hub here.
Fact: 85% of the public agrees that abortion should be legal.
Since the overturning of Roe v. Wade, the freedom to make important personal decisions about our bodies, our partners and our reproductive futures are at risk. While coverage of “down-ballot” races can be challenging to track, prosecutors and candidates for your state legislature have an outsized role in defending—or upending—the right to bodily autonomy year-round.
Does your candidate support …
- Establishing state-based protection of reproductive freedom?
- Prohibiting criminalization of deeply personal decisions like abortion?
- Expanding local access to care?
Fact: 77% of the public agrees that immigration is good for the country.
Our friends and neighbors who are immigrants have been persecuted, treated as political pawns and denied basic human rights. It’s past time to support policies that humanize immigrants and refugees. Vote for policies that will provide equal access to justice and protection for all immigrants and refugees regardless of race, religion, political opinion, or nationality.
Find out if your candidates support …
- Decriminalizing the asylum process
- Prioritizing the end of immigration detention
- Formalizing a pathway to citizenship
Fact: 89% of the public wants our government to do more about the climate emergency.
The climate crisis is here—two critical steps toward preserving our home are moving away from greenhouse gasses by reducing CO2 emissions and fossil fuel divestment efforts.
In order to successfully support our planet, demand that politicians center environmental justice.
Research your candidates’ commitment to …
- Tackling pollution in communities, especially communities of color
- Cutting greenhouse gas emissions
- Ending fossil fuel infrastructure expansion
Fact: 66% of the public wants stricter gun control.
No one should be afraid to go to school, attend a house of worship, or go to a concert because of gun violence. Reducing unqualified gun access and supporting evidence-based violence prevention efforts are key to saving lives.
Does your candidate support …
- Universal background checks for gun buyers
- Raising the minimum age to purchase assault style weapons
- Increasing funding to proven violence prevention programs
- Making it illegal to sell, make, possess, or import assault weapons and large-capacity ammunition devices
Fact: 62% of the public agrees that animals deserve protection.
For those of us who believe animals are companions, not test subjects, candidates for local and national legislative office are the ones to watch. The U.S. Congress has the power to pass policies that put more pressure on the USDA and FDA to fully prohibit animal testing and encourage alternatives that ensure the safety of consumer goods without sacrificing the health and welfare of animals.
Find out …
· If your candidate supports the Humane Cosmetics Act (H.R. 6207)
· How do animal welfare advocates rate your candidate?
· What is your candidate’s voting record on policies related to animal cruelty?